Religious Discrimination...

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Skyburning said:
Amber (and please don't think I'm picking on you because I'm not) are you also offended by sex and cursing in movies? Just curious.

It depends on the extent. A few curse words, fine. I block them out. But when it's a continual string of 'f' this and 'g-d' that, then I tend to not finish watching it.

I honestly don't get too terribly offended at cursing. I slip up occasionally and let out a good 'sh' word when I get hurt or something. But, like I said before, we're all human. It happens. I really don't mind so much about any cursing on this board. I just used it as an example.

Sex scenes, I tend to fastforward through. I guess I've just never been one much into watching others have sex. Not even when I wasn't saved. To be quite truthful, I'm sick of all the sex scenes and push of sex in tv programs, movies and even commercials. I blame the media as part of the reason our young girls today are so (sadly) led to beleive that sex and sex appeal is everything. It's not.

But that's a rant for another debate.....:laugh:

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Geoff L said:
As a new poster I have been very surprised by the strong Christian flavour of the board.

I actually think there are less Christians here then "other".

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Kaytee said:
I actually think there are less Christians here then "other".

I must concur. I've seen many claim atheism, agnosticism, whatever. Only a small handful here have claimed to be Christian. It adds for variety! :)

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Geoff L said:
As a new poster I have been very surprised by the strong Christian flavour of the board.

I know there are another 10 pages but post #3 is enough to put anyone off this thread and even the board itself. Please don't assume what anybody elses experience is as a Christian, Athiest or anything else.

I think the responsibility of a parent is to prepare their kids for life, not indoctrinate them into one way to live. I encourage mine to think for themselves and make their own decsions.
I can see the basis for thinking this board has a strong Christian flavor, Geoff, as this thread has generated a lot of responses.

A significant percentage of members are devout and their beliefs arise in non-religious discussions on occassion. But I don't think this reflects the board's threads overall. Most threads on other subjects never discuss religion. I'm not religious and try to avoid deep discusssion on the topic as I think it often becomes divisive and ultimately is arguing faith, not facts - and one can't really argue that another's faith is wrong and expect to get anywhere except in sheep dip. :)

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I also think that many that aren't of mainstream religion will avoid discussing, due to the issues in the original post. I know that I've pretty much hidden my spiritual views for quite sometime on here to avoid alienation. It's only recently that I became comfortable with "coming out" on the broomstick, so to speak.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
HappyMomma said:
I also think that many that aren't of mainstream religion will avoid discussing, due to the issues in the original post. I know that I've pretty much hidden my spiritual views for quite sometime on here to avoid alienation. It's only recently that I became comfortable with "coming out" on the broomstick, so to speak.
lol cute pun there