Religious Discrimination...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Amber said:
Baptists DO believe in birth control.

As for the praying, it's essentially the same thing as worship, isn't it? I mean, we need no mediator to take our prayers to God. Jesus became our intercessor.
Well I go to an Episcapal Church and I have heard many ministers, priest, and the such ask for help through Saints and such. It is not Worship. God is above all. Mary was not a God, but she was Chosen by God to do something amazing and that in itself is a beauitful and powerful thing

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
A Christian is defined as someone who believes that Jesus died for their sins and they follow his teachings. Catholics are in fact the oldest branch of Christians and they most certainlty worship God seeing how Jesus of Nazarath was the founder of the first Catholic church in Jerusalem.

Edit - Wow, I guess it took me a while to post this. Can you say beating a dead horse.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Amber said:
Ok, Hw...as for the priests molesting children...that is Catholicism. Totally different than Christianity. Please don't mistake the two. One worships Mary, the other, God.
WHAT?! :eek: Totally not true. Any religion that believes in Jesus Christ is "Christian". To echo Kaytee, Catholics are Christian, just from a different sect. Wow...

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Amber said:
The only thing I can say to this is...."religion" was around a lot longer than Jewish/American/Canadian whatever laws were ever thought of.
The first tribe of cavemen at laws that most be followed by everyone. Man kind as always needed government (a governing authority) to survive. We are not solitary creatures, and left unchecked we would have a society that allowed us to prosper.

I think religion was and probably still is necessary. Some people need it not only to 'be good' but also to give them a sense of superiority which unfortunately is another natural human desire.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Kaytee said:
I agree with you. I would not want a teacher of a public school to teach religion either. BUT it would not bother me in the least if they had a "religion" class. THa taught about other peoples way of thinking. I want my daughter to know about Judiasm and all the other many religions of the world.
Ah yes, but that will never happe nbecause parents would fight about what religions were okay to teach and who was qualified to teach about them.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
hwnorth said:
Ari ... the reason for coral and peach is this ... sins are the work of the devil... homosexuality is a sin... but Satan wants to ease people to his side ... he is therefore claiming to be a bi-sexual meterosexual... thus pastels and peach...

KIDDING... but funny ...
If there is a devil and he <I>isn't </I>a metrosexual, I will be really disappointed! :p

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Amber said:
I've never heard of not wearing orange. That's a new one for me.
It's the orange thing that got to me. I've never met another person, including other evangelicals like my sister, who has heard of it. She's unique! ;)

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Kaytee said:
Well I go to an Episcapal Church and I have heard many ministers, priest, and the such ask for help through Saints and such. It is not Worship. God is above all. Mary was not a God, but she was Chosen by God to do something amazing and that in itself is a beauitful and powerful thing

Oh, no doubt about it, Mary was chosen. I'll never deny that. I do consider her blessed among all women. But I don't believe I need to pray to her or to any saint to get my prayers to God. I believe that once Jesus was crucified, the veil was torn and I can now enter the holy of holies myself and come boldly unto the throne of God, and have no need for someone else to carry my prayers to God.

I did, however, come across some interesting stuff on Catholicism I'd like to share. I'm going to have to wait until daytime to post it, though, because I can't read it. Bug woke up and is not feeling the greatest. :( I finally got her to sleep and she's passed out on the couch, so I'm sitting here in the dark with only the computer monitor as light. So sleepy I can barely hold my head up. So, I'm going to finish my drink, peruse the board until I'm done and then head to bed.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
The first tribe of cavemen at laws that most be followed by everyone. Man kind as always needed government (a governing authority) to survive. We are not solitary creatures, and left unchecked we would have a society that allowed us to prosper.

But who was around before the cavemen? Adam and Eve. And they most definately did not have a government except God.

I think religion was and probably still is necessary. Some people need it not only to 'be good' but also to give them a sense of superiority which unfortunately is another natural human desire.

If someone needs religion to feel superior, then they're not "religious" for the right reasons. I, honestly, have a big problem with the word religion. Religion is what starts wars, what causes drama, conflict, division. I don't consider myself "religious", rather a sinner saved by grace. Too many want to use religion as an excuse to browbeat someone or use it to justify an argument. Just give me Jesus, save the arguments for someone who has time for it, ya know? lol

[/quote]

I really don't know how people can use "religion" to be good, either. Not disagreeing, cause I know that some people try to follow the Bible to a "t", but it'll never happen. We are all so very unworthy of His love and His grace and no matter how hard we try, we will fail Him. Daily. It's in our nature, in our hearts. The heart is desperately wicked.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ari2 said:
It's the orange thing that got to me. I've never met another person, including other evangelicals like my sister, who has heard of it. She's unique! ;)

What reasons does she give you for believing that orange is the "devil's color"?

I guess I'm going to hell...I wear orange every Saturday. (GO BIG ORANGE!)

*walks out of the thread singing Rocky Top, you'll always be...home sweet home to me........

mmynedshlp

PF Enthusiast
May 27, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="etceterae;59812"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
etceterae said:
&lt;/s&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I have noticed that a lot of you believe in the Christian God (from various comments and such). I don’t suggest that any of you have engendered any discrimination in your children against atheists, but I’m curious as to what you have told them about atheistic beliefs. Do you tell them we tear up Bibles? Do you tell them we think religious people are misguided? Do you tell them we eat babies and burn churches? Okay, just kidding there.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;E&gt;:)&lt;/E&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
My children are raised with several religios options. My mother in law practises Mahi Kari, My grandmother in law is Catholic. I was following the LDS church for awhile. I allow the Jehova witnesses in my home to study the Bible with me. I have informed my children of my past religions even though I dont necessarily give them all the details as to why it scared me away or why I chose not follow it.&lt;br/&gt;
I am not aeithist and as of right now I am not exactly sure if I am christian per say. hmm I do pray everynight or I can not sleep but I dont have my mind focused to praying to anyone with a face or place of being. I beleive my being of authority belongs to every religion out there. I belive he is zues, Heavently Father, Etc or the other gods are his brothers sisters or family members. A God would have no right to be jelous of other gods if they did not exist. I am not jelous at my daughters imaginary friend but i can be of her real ones.&lt;br/&gt;
I have a friend who calls and knocks down the church i no longer go to but i guess he thinks I still do because its like he is trying to convert me. i let him rant and talk about his religion. My daughter has witnessed my phone calls with him and we have discussed them afterwards. I have told her what i heard so she knows why i replied i did. She knows we do not tell people what to believe and we can listen to what they believe in.&lt;br/&gt;
I have however have had to ask my Mil not to practise her belief in my home because she refused to get anyones permission before she layed her hands on them and misprounounced her japanese prayer. If they had agreed to it fine but when my three year old starts crying and trying to get away time to stop. Yes I believe in the power of laying on hands and i have seen used in a good way and what I consider to be a bad way. I believe in evil beings and spirits. I believe in many indian practices too. I also believe people are born with gifts that they may be afraid to confide about because they think its not normal.&lt;br/&gt;
My daughter would not look at you any different or feel any different towards to you. She would probably ask " Would you like to know about so and so that is dead." She not had as many visits since the last time I went through the house telling whatever brushed by me and scared my three year old and made everything EVERYTHING in the closet fall off on her " GET OUT OF MY HOUSE you are not welcome here and never will be"&lt;br/&gt;
I wish I was aethist sometimes that means I would never have had the expierences that I have had experimenting with different religions. Things that have happened to me I know there is something out there and its not always good.&lt;br/&gt;
whatever it is seems to leave the non believers alone. You are so lucky.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
P.S. yes both my daughter and i have checked out fine with our psychologists and i have requested to be tested several times because of my expierences. It couldnt be biological anyways because my oldest D is my step d.&lt;/r&gt;

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Amber said:
I really don't know how people can use "religion" to be good, either. Not disagreeing, cause I know that some people try to follow the Bible to a "t", but it'll never happen. We are all so very unworthy of His love and His grace and no matter how hard we try, we will fail Him. Daily. It's in our nature, in our hearts. The heart is desperately wicked.
See here I'm going to have to disagree. In the bible I read none of us are "unworthy". Would you say your children are unworthy of your love because they act out? No. God is our father (if you believe in him) he loves us unconditionally even with our faults.
So I would never feel unworthy of his love. I'm as worthy as they come. I'm just his troubled child. ;)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
mmynedshlp said:
My children are raised with several religios options. My mother in law practises Mahi Kari, My grandmother in law is Catholic. I was following the LDS church for awhile. I allow the Jehova witnesses in my home to study the Bible with me. I have informed my children of my past religions even though I dont necessarily give them all the details as to why it scared me away or why I chose not follow it.
I am not aeithist and as of right now I am not exactly sure if I am christian per say. hmm I do pray everynight or I can not sleep but I dont have my mind focused to praying to anyone with a face or place of being. I beleive my being of authority belongs to every religion out there. I belive he is zues, Heavently Father, Etc or the other gods are his brothers sisters or family members. A God would have no right to be jelous of other gods if they did not exist. I am not jelous at my daughters imaginary friend but i can be of her real ones.
I have a friend who calls and knocks down the church i no longer go to but i guess he thinks I still do because its like he is trying to convert me. i let him rant and talk about his religion. My daughter has witnessed my phone calls with him and we have discussed them afterwards. I have told her what i heard so she knows why i replied i did. She knows we do not tell people what to believe and we can listen to what they believe in.
I have however have had to ask my Mil not to practise her belief in my home because she refused to get anyones permission before she layed her hands on them and misprounounced her japanese prayer. If they had agreed to it fine but when my three year old starts crying and trying to get away time to stop. Yes I believe in the power of laying on hands and i have seen used in a good way and what I consider to be a bad way. I believe in evil beings and spirits. I believe in many indian practices too. I also believe people are born with gifts that they may be afraid to confide about because they think its not normal.
My daughter would not look at you any different or feel any different towards to you. She would probably ask " Would you like to know about so and so that is dead." She not had as many visits since the last time I went through the house telling whatever brushed by me and scared my three year old and made everything EVERYTHING in the closet fall off on her " GET OUT OF MY HOUSE you are not welcome here and never will be"
I wish I was aethist sometimes that means I would never have had the expierences that I have had experimenting with different religions. Things that have happened to me I know there is something out there and its not always good.
whatever it is seems to leave the non believers alone. You are so lucky.

P.S. yes both my daughter and i have checked out fine with our psychologists and i have requested to be tested several times because of my expierences. It couldnt be biological anyways because my oldest D is my step d.
I sooooooooooooo want a siggy like yours but with twin girls and a year older boy. Can you make me one. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeeeee. My kids are 8,7,7. I love it!

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
mmynedshlp said:
She not had as many visits since the last time I went through the house telling whatever brushed by me and scared my three year old and made everything EVERYTHING in the closet fall off on her " GET OUT OF MY HOUSE you are not welcome here and never will be"
Sage sticks can help with that. ;)

Very nice post mmynedshlp. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
mmynedship, I used to be more "in touch" with that gift when I was smaller. It doesn't happen as frequently but it's still there. That's why I believe there is a strong energy to all people and you can feel it even after they are gone.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Amber said:
What reasons does she give you for believing that orange is the "devil's color"?

I guess I'm going to hell...I wear orange every Saturday. (GO BIG ORANGE!)

*walks out of the thread singing Rocky Top, you'll always be...home sweet home to me........
Lol, what rationale does anyone give for declaring their religious "rules"? Because hers was the correct interpretation of the requirements of proper obedience to the faith. At the time, I sure she could have provided a fairly elaborate answer, but it would have come down to that. In her views, it was what "true" Christians do.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I had never heard of Marikari. I'm glad you mentioned it; it's always nice to learn about new things. I read the Wiki entry on it: link The entry is interesting because it obviously has been written by multiple authors with differing viewpoints. Gotta love Wikipedia. :)

etceterae

PF Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2008
Skyburning said:
Ah yes, but that will never happe nbecause parents would fight about what religions were okay to teach and who was qualified to teach about them.
No way. We had a religion course in AP Human Geography, and nobody objected.