Sexuality...

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
in answer to the original question i would not give 2 shits if my kid were gay. After watching my father spend torturing himself and my gay as a goose brother with team sports and other "manly" activities because he was subconsciously trying to prevent the inevitable I know there is nothing a parent can do anyway.
But one thing i really resent is that often when there is a thread on homosexuality someone inevitably mentions paedophilia as if there is some kind of link. It is ignorant and insulting not just to the gay community but to the rest of us as well!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Aunt said:
in answer to the original question i would not give 2 shits if my kid were gay. After watching my father spend torturing himself and my gay as a goose brother with team sports and other "manly" activities because he was subconsciously trying to prevent the inevitable I know there is nothing a parent can do anyway.
But one thing i really resent is that often when there is a thread on homosexuality someone inevitably mentions paedophilia as if there is some kind of link. It is ignorant and insulting not just to the gay community but to the rest of us as well!
How in the hell is a goose gay?? lmao (sorry had to ask)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Aunt said:
Amen!

It's like "sick as a dog" musicmom. Just an expression.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yea but I can see a dog throwing up and eating grass and puking up yellow bile but what would a goose do? Frolick?

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
musicmom said:
Yea but I can see a dog throwing up and eating grass and puking up yellow bile but what would a goose do? Frolick?
Yeah. As in like... the original definition of the word gay.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I know right! Let's get whoever "they" are to change that gay as a goose thingy. They are mean and angry and they follow you and scare you to death.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
They at least act silly but not gay. They run and waddle. Although I've never actually sat and watched them just seen them run through the sanctuary.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I would suppose it's because geese are sort of elegant. I know they were used to guard palaces in the roman empire. Perhaps the ancient greeks or spartans used them for this purpose. I will put it into a conversational context for you

' Dad i am gay- As in Gay as a goose'
'Well son in order to continue this conversation we are going to need more beer'

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Anyone have friends\family that are lesbians?

Recently our 12 year old daughter was telling us about some middle school gossip that some girl being a lesbian, and of course being in middle school anything about a person's sexuality is a popular topic of conversation. In this case, the girl is perceived as being a Lesbian because of her style of dress and likes being involved in sports (softball & Basketball). Our daughter says she looks likes and acts like a boy , not a girl, and that is why kids say she is a lesbian.

I personally don't have very good gaydar when it comes to women. I've work with some women in the past who I didn't even suspect were lesbian until they personally told me or I found out some other way. Gay men seem to stick out, but not women who are gay (at least for me).

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Jtee it's very likely that this girl is NOT a lesbian :)

I remember in middle school, probably 90% of the people classified as gay, were not gay at all.

Gaydar is really something you can't experience unless you are gay.

My uncle and another close male friend are gay, and you honestly would NEVER ever be able to tell. I think we see way too many stereotypes of overly feminine gay men when in reality most are not like that.

Oh and the only two lesbians I know (and they aren't close friends) do NOT look like the typical lesbians (butch types, into sports, dress like guys, short hair etc..)

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I honestly didn't know much about gays at that age. I always thought the tom boys where cool. They would play ball with you and they smelled good.

I've known some gay people through friends but haven't ever befriended them. I really haven't had a whole lot of friends through out the years though. I tend to run in small packs and keep the same friends I've made for very long time so it is more a matter of statistics then preference.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My neice did this in middle school as well. For some reason they think it's "cool" or an interesting topic for some reason. Once my neice realized this wasn't a joking topic and could be taken way out of text she ended that conversation with her friends.
She was curious and asked me tons of questions which I told her. She had alot. She felt comfortable and it was never brought up again. She's doing well in school.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Mindy said:
Jtee it's very likely that this girl is NOT a lesbian :)

I remember in middle school, probably 90% of the people classified as gay, were not gay at all.
My wife has suggested our daughter not actively refer to the girl as being a lesbian unless the girl openly confirms that she is.

All the gay men I've met say they pretty always knew they were gay (liking other boys), but I have never had any simular conversations with lesbian woman about their sexuality when they at the middle school age.