The Playground...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy, remember when you told me fancy dress meant a costume like on Halloween? Well I thought that was weird of course haha. Anyway its so ironic because I have NEVER heard that term in my entire life (at least not referring to a pretty dress like a girl would wear to an occasion). But today I was watching a new episode of "Kipper" with Eli and he was trying to find a costume in his closet for a party with his friends and when he couldn't find anything he said "Oh I know! I'll just go and hire one from the fancy dress shop!"

WOW. Revelation. haha

And hire?? Is that like when we would say that we would rent something? Or does he mean buy it?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
xox.ilu.xox said:
hehe thats so cute you get to say darling husband now instead of boyfriend :D
WAIT........................Did I miss something? Last I heard you guys were engaged..........what the hell! I hope I am not the last to know this, although that seems to be how it goes for me! :confused:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Aww no its not like that! haha I just barely mentioned it, I didn't announce anything. I'm embarassed by attention, that's why. Yeah we got married at the end of April. :) I really need the health insurance, and we were going through legal matters, so we figured what the hell. :D

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
xox.ilu.xox said:
hehe thats so cute you get to say darling husband now instead of boyfriend :D
I somehow missed this post!

Yes it is cute and I totally enjoy it. :D Thank you for noticing.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Hire means rent (when I've been to America hire has been a common term), Kipper is based on books by a British writer, which is why fancy dress would be used instead of costume. Oh, and it is a wardrobe, not a closet, here a closet is specially reserved for a gay man to hide in :D

The first seat in our election has been claimed by labour, hundreds more to go!

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Xero said:
Aww no its not like that! haha I just barely mentioned it, I didn't announce anything. I'm embarassed by attention, that's why. Yeah we got married at the end of April. :) I really need the health insurance, and we were going through legal matters, so we figured what the hell. :D
Can you really get married that quickly? Here venue's are booked months and months in advanced, where are you going on your honeymoon?

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
Xero said:
Ok...I don't feel so horrible!

But CONGRATULATIONS</SIZE>[/FONT]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy+3 said:
Can you really get married that quickly? Here venue's are booked months and months in advanced, where are you going on your honeymoon?

You can get married here that quickly, in a large percentage of places you can just say "Let's get married now" and find someone who can do it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yep you can go at any time during court house hours to apply for your marriage license, then it takes about 3 or 4 days until its ready. Once you pick it up, you can get married that day if you want to. We got married the day after we picked up our marriage license. lol!!

THANK YOU so much M2M!!

Jeremy, we are going on our honeymoon at the beginning of June to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. ;)

Are you saying you have heard Americans use the term "hire" when referring to renting an item as a common term before? That's strange. I've never heard it used that way in my life, and I have lived North and South. I suppose things are different everywhere. Terms even differ from here and Florida (I spent my childhood there) so I wouldn't be surprised I suppose.

I figured Kipper was a British show, or at least written British, mostly due to Kipper's heavy British accent. ;) Its a nice little show though, even my little American baby loves it lol.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
Hire means rent (when I've been to America hire has been a common term), Kipper is based on books by a British writer, which is why fancy dress would be used instead of costume. Oh, and it is a wardrobe, not a closet, here a closet is specially reserved for a gay man to hide in :D

The first seat in our election has been claimed by labour, hundreds more to go!
Labour is done. No one will win majority. Gordon will fail to win confidence vote in parliament (if he tries). Cameron is your new PM. Goodnight.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
No BNP seats yet, Plaid haven't re-gained Ceredigion, ace! Far too many sinn fein votes, we really need to remove the IRA from government...not as many SNP constituencies as I thought either. I presume Mr Brown will be on the phone to Mr Clegg very soon

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Oh yes, three seats to anyone else and we are officially hung like a horse! I'm not sure what is going to happen about Molton, they aren't getting a seat until 27th may.

oo, another seat for labour and one for tory

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Oh yes, we are officially hung!!!!!!! Another election in 6 months, yes please, will Gordo and Nick form a coalition, we'll have to wait until at least tomorrow. Or maybe Queenie will ask for a three form coalition.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I've always liked the UK system of government. I wish we had something similar to the Prime Minister's Questions here, that would be fun to see!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I'd go with just about anything besides what we're doing. I'm not a big fan of capitalism. :/

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
ElliottCarasDad said:
I've always liked the UK system of government. I wish we had something similar to the Prime Minister's Questions here, that would be fun to see!
Our system is rubbish, similar to yours, majority vote doesn't equal winner, plus now they can decide themselves which party run the country, nice and democratic...

We're capitalist too Xero

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh are you? Haha shows how much I know. Really though, capitalism sucks.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
It depends how you do it, and don't worry lots of people don't know stuff about the UK (just as lots of us don't know some things about the US), always funny to see foreigners with euro's though!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Yeah I suppose. Hey don't worry I don't know anything about US politics either, let alone the UK. lol I'm clueless.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
Our system is rubbish, similar to yours, majority vote doesn't equal winner, plus now they can decide themselves which party run the country, nice and democratic...

We're capitalist too Xero
True, but in our system Cameron would have won outright, no hung vote or chance at a coalition. Granted each is still a two-party system, but at least yours gives others a voice whereas ours just gives that illusion.