Visiting relatives with a SO in tow......

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Denver, Colorado 3oh3! <3
I know but it's such a PITA.
My grandmother kind of got frustrated with her last time and asked me to just humor her and I did for a day and in turn bitched all day about how I hated how my hair looked undried and eventually put it up, which she doesn't like me doing that either.
Yes, it was immature of me to bitch all day about my hair but I figured if she wanted to make me miserable about me doing something that made me happy, I was going to make her miserable listening to me bitch about something that made her happy.

When I visit in October, I will not cover up the tattoo, I will not be taking the nose stud out and before I leave the house everyday I will be drying my hair and doing my make up and I will not change a single outfit.

I live my life the way I want to and I won't be changing for anyone.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
Cop2be said:
if <U>she wanted to make me miserable</U> about me doing something that made me happy, I was going to make her miserable listening to me bitch about something that made her happy.
Have you read anything we've written?

It is highly unlikely that your great grandmother is deliberately trying to make you miserable. She's just an old woman who is struggling to fit into 2012 and nothing anyone can say or do will change that. Its your own assumptions and attitude towards her that is making you miserable.

Here's some advice from someone who's been dealt more than his fair share of lemons in life:

Its time for you to learn that life won't give you what you want just because it would be fair. Sometimes life sucks and the only thing that is in your power to change is your own attitude. And if you refuse to do that, you will be the only one who suffers.

I would like nothing more than to have my wife and unborn child back. Or to have had parents who gave a shit about me. But that's never going to happen. So I can either go through life sulking about how unfair it is that I don't have those things, or I can choose to change my attitude, refuse to let things I can't change upset me and focus on the many positive things in each day instead.

I can tell you, I've been much happier since choosing the second option.

Focus on enjoying their company. She's 92 - this might be the last time you ever saw her. <U>Choose</U> to not let her nagging and bitching upset you. Just ignore it and <U>choose</U> to enjoy her instead. Ask her about her life - after 92 years she must have a lot of stories and a lot of wisdom to share.

Its up to you.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
singledad said:
I would take my cue from the host. If they prepare separate bedrooms, use them. If they prepare one bedroom, use it. I think that if they try to make one partner sleep on the couch, it might be ok to suggest that it would be more comfortable for everyone if you checked into a hotel.

I would certainly not make a big deal out of it if my host seemed uncomfortable with letting me share a bed with an so. In fact, even after living together for several years, my wife and I never shared a bed in my grandma's house before we got married. After all, it's just a few nights, and it's about respecting her values and by extension her, even if I don't agree with it.
This, completely. It would be very self-centered to make a big deal as a guest out of not sharing a room with an unmarried partner. Sleep wherever they put you and deal. Respect the Grandma!

Last edited:

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
Cop2be said:
Yeah.
The question is about me.

My grandmother doesn't care, she even offered us her room before the "spare room" is a loft with no door right across and 15 stairs up from my great grandmothers bedroom.

My great grandmother would probably make a few comments but ultimately she wouldn't say much. She's 93 and complains about everything, so my grandmother just tells me to ignore it.

This next trip should be a blast, my nose is now pierced, I am about 20lbs lighter, the clothes are definitely smaller and tighter and my hair is now super blonde from dark brown. I sense an epic meltdown from her solely from my image alone. To myself and everyone else I look amazing and sexy to her she'll think I belong in a whore house.
I figured you had to be pretty young, and this certainly clinches it.

You have a GREAT Grandmother AND a Grandmother. Do you have any idea how awesome that is? I'm certain that you have no frame of reference to understand how brief this period of time will be.

One minute you are a teen, and the next, you are a middle-aged woman (or man), standing at your parents' gravesites. Trust me. It goes by in warp speed.

Make Great-Grandma happy. Spend time with her, and Grandma. You don't have very many years to do that. You can always get your way the rest of the time.

Testing

PF Enthusiast
Feb 23, 2012
Cop2be said:
I know but it's such a PITA.

When I visit in October, I will not cover up the tattoo, I will not be taking the nose stud out and before I leave the house everyday I will be drying my hair and doing my make up and I will not change a single outfit.

I live my life the way I want to and I won't be changing for anyone.
You've GOTTA be about 16-20 years old. Why are you even on a parenting forum?

There really isn't a lot to say about this level of self-aggrandizement.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
In regard the the OP. I agree its house rules. Always should be. Its that way when I am at someone's house. And when they are at mine.

Somebody come and stays at my house I will do my best to make the extremely comfortable. But the bottom line is: My house: my rules. If they don't like that its OK. They just need to make other arrangement's.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
This is probably going to sound a little harsh but I really don't care at this point. Your on a parenting forum and not a parent.. so I'm going to talk to you like your my child. My daughter is 22. If she were to come to me spewing the venom you have about her Grandma, I'd be livid.

You know.. I think the whole thing here is about respect. Let me tell you about that word because I think it might be foreign to you. Respect is an acceptance or courtesy, an acknowledgment of rights, or honoring someone worthy. Actually.. I think it defines what your asking her to give but not offering to give her.

That old lady you've spent the last few days bashing on here is your Great Grandmother. She had a hand in your being in the world to begin with. Unless she spent your younger years beating you or mistreating you, have some respect. She is 92 years old. YOU have no idea what its like to be at the end of your life and to feel what she feels. She grew up in a different time when girls didn't do what you do.. have a little respect for that.

You have every right to a freedom of expression. You have every right to feel the way you do about things. Your anger over her pushing her views on you astounds me.. because your whole point seems crazy when your plan is to go into her home and push yours right back on her.. and she can shove it she doesn't like it. At 92, she doesn't have much left to offer this world but opinions and knowledge. Give her a break.

My Grandma is 89. She's very religious and opinionated. Every time I walk in the door she gets on to me about going to church, getting a hair cut, wearing lipstick.. but who cares? She loves me and wants me to be better. So what if its the "better" that she believes in and not me? I listen and still sleep in on Sundays. I never wear lipstick and my hair is to my butt. But I listen to her. How much longer to I get to?

Why would I try to hurt her and for what reason would it ever serve a purpose? She's not changing. You need to remember who your talking about accept her for who and what she is. An old lady that won't be here long enough for you to grow up and realize what you had.

And as a little PS. I don't care if she lives with her daughter.. your Grandmother.. its still her home. And in the same way you don't want her coming to visit your house and expressing her freedoms by removing her <I>Depends</I> and peeing on your couch, she doesn't want you making whoopee in hers. It's not too much to ask.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
bssage said:
In regard the the OP. I agree its house rules. Always should be. Its that way when I am at someone's house. And when they are at mine.

Somebody come and stays at my house I will do my best to make the extremely comfortable. But the bottom line is: My house: my rules. If they don't like that its OK. They just need to make other arrangement's.
yeah the house rules are my grandmother doesn't care where we sleep.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
This is probably going to sound a little harsh but I really don't care at this point. Your on a parenting forum and not a parent.. so I'm going to talk to you like your my child. My daughter is 22. If she were to come to me spewing the venom you have about her Grandma, I'd be livid.

You know.. I think the whole thing here is about respect. Let me tell you about that word because I think it might be foreign to you. Respect is an acceptance or courtesy, an acknowledgment of rights, or honoring someone worthy. Actually.. I think it defines what your asking her to give but not offering to give her.

That old lady you've spent the last few days bashing on here is your Great Grandmother. She had a hand in your being in the world to begin with. Unless she spent your younger years beating you or mistreating you, have some respect. She is 92 years old. YOU have no idea what its like to be at the end of your life and to feel what she feels. She grew up in a different time when girls didn't do what you do.. have a little respect for that.

You have every right to a freedom of expression. You have every right to feel the way you do about things. Your anger over her pushing her views on you astounds me.. because your whole point seems crazy when your plan is to go into her home and push yours right back on her.. and she can shove it she doesn't like it. At 92, she doesn't have much left to offer this world but opinions and knowledge. Give her a break.

My Grandma is 89. She's very religious and opinionated. Every time I walk in the door she gets on to me about going to church, getting a hair cut, wearing lipstick.. but who cares? She loves me and wants me to be better. So what if its the "better" that she believes in and not me? I listen and still sleep in on Sundays. I never wear lipstick and my hair is to my butt. But I listen to her. How much longer to I get to?

Why would I try to hurt her and for what reason would it ever serve a purpose? She's not changing. You need to remember who your talking about accept her for who and what she is. An old lady that won't be here long enough for you to grow up and realize what you had.

And as a little PS. I don't care if she lives with her daughter.. your Grandmother.. its still her home. And in the same way you don't want her coming to visit your house and expressing her freedoms by removing her <I>Depends</I> and peeing on your couch, she doesn't want you making whoopee in hers. It's not too much to ask.
I haven't been spewing venom. It's just tough to go somewhere and have someone endlessly get onto you about everything, when you're legally not child and are legal to live life how you want. I was there for a whole month last year, I stayed an entire month with them.

I just want it to be a happy pleasant visit, not one where she is angry at everything.

I don't plan on pushing my views on her, I plan on going and being myself and having fun.
My grandmother is fine with us staying together because we already live together and have for nearly a year now.

To my great grandmother it would be different if we were married, but we're not, we're atheist, we don't care, but we do have plans of getting married, having kids etc, just not now.

And I never said we planned to have sex while we were there, I was only planning on going a weekend. I just like having my best friend to fall asleep next to every night, it's what I am used to, I like having someone there next to me to snuggle up to and talk to and sit and watch tv with before we fall asleep.

We do the same routine every night, shower together, watch tv, fall asleep.
If I couldn't keep my routine it would upset me, I don't like sleeping alone, I don't want to. I never said we were going to have sex while we were there, we're not two 18 year olds with no self control, I just like having him there next to me at night.

We're still planning on going, we're still planning on sharing a bed and I just remembered we'll have to take our dog with us and that would suck deciding who the dog slept with.

I am pretty lucky my grandmother doesn't care.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
I re-read my post now that I am awake and it did sound a little on the rude side with the definition of respect. I'm sincerely sorry about that. However, I still think you spew venom. When your entire post here about this old lady is the fact that her existence seems to do nothing but annoy you. You stated in a post that "Yes, it was immature of me to bitch all day about my hair but I figured if she wanted to make me miserable about me doing something that made me happy, I was going to make her miserable listening to me bitch about something that made her happy."
That makes me feel your anger toward her for being something at her age she can not help nor hope to change. How can you be angry with her for not being accepting when your not. She is a woman who grew up in America's 1920's. She was your age during a world war where women had a place and knew it. And at 92 she's lived long enough to rate the right to voice her opinion. Even if she seems hateful and bossy.. she's set in her ways and if for no other reason than the fact she is your Great Grandma, she should be given a certain amount of freedom and respect. Give her what your asking her to give you. Room to be what she is. Don't try to change her or make her life miserable. She doesn't have much life left.

As a adult, we make exceptions for certain people. Children, the challenged and the elderly. We don't do certain things in front of them that otherwise we find nothing wrong with. Sexy clothes.. for sexy times. Grandma seeing half my boobs wouldn't be the time. I'm not saying that you should dye your hair back or take off jewelry, but why not tone the "I'm smoking hot" image down a notch for her? It wouldn't kill you and might keep her from having a coronary. I go to mass when I visit my Darling's elderly mother and I'm not even catholic. It makes her happy so why not? I wear my longer skirts to my Grandma's. It makes her smile.. so why not? That's what being a respectable adult is. Not just being concerned with our own needs but considering the feelings of others.

And perhaps you weren't intending on bumping uglies. But with the attitude that "I'm not changing a thing about me for her benefit.. she can like it or lump it", I expected that that part of your life was included. What made you draw the line there?

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
Mom2all said:
As a adult, we make exceptions for certain people. Children, the challenged and the elderly. We don't do certain things in front of them that otherwise we find nothing wrong with. Sexy clothes.. for sexy times. Grandma seeing half my boobs wouldn't be the time. I'm not saying that you should dye your hair back or take off jewelry, but why not tone the "I'm smoking hot" image down a notch for her? It wouldn't kill you and might keep her from having a coronary. I go to mass when I visit my Darling's elderly mother and I'm not even catholic. It makes her happy so why not? I wear my longer skirts to my Grandma's. It makes her smile.. so why not? That's what being a respectable adult is. Not just being concerned with our own needs but considering the feelings of others.

I understand your point but I disagree with your thought about doing something just because it makes someone happy. In your example of going to mass, for example, I would never go to church and pretend to believe in a certain religion just to make someone else happy. I have as much right to believe in what I want to believe as they do to believe what they want to believe. If they don't like what I believe, well that's their problem. I respect my grandparents and show respect in many ways, but to do it by pretending to be something I'm not does NOT show respect, it shows deceit.

"Being a respectable adult" as you put it, goes both ways, regardless of age. Just because you are older than someone doesn't mean you don't have to show respect back.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
I re-read my post now that I am awake and it did sound a little on the rude side with the definition of respect. I'm sincerely sorry about that. However, I still think you spew venom. When your entire post here about this old lady is the fact that her existence seems to do nothing but annoy you. You stated in a post that "Yes, it was immature of me to bitch all day about my hair but I figured if she wanted to make me miserable about me doing something that made me happy, I was going to make her miserable listening to me bitch about something that made her happy."
That makes me feel your anger toward her for being something at her age she can not help nor hope to change. How can you be angry with her for not being accepting when your not. She is a woman who grew up in America's 1920's. She was your age during a world war where women had a place and knew it. And at 92 she's lived long enough to rate the right to voice her opinion. Even if she seems hateful and bossy.. she's set in her ways and if for no other reason than the fact she is your Great Grandma, she should be given a certain amount of freedom and respect. Give her what your asking her to give you. Room to be what she is. Don't try to change her or make her life miserable. She doesn't have much life left.

And perhaps you weren't intending on bumping uglies. But with the attitude that "I'm not changing a thing about me for her benefit.. she can like it or lump it", I expected that that part of your life was included. What made you draw the line there?
Her existence does not annoy me, her remarks and attitude about ME is what makes me upset.
I am accepting, she is who is she, which is why I am not rude to her about it and I tolerated it last time but a lot of things have changed since I last visited that I know SHE will be nasty about. I just want a kind way to tell her, your remarks hurt my feelings, please don't say rude things or have such an attitude about who I am because it hurts me. I grew up in a different time and I am different. The way I am makes me happy. I want to tell her I am not rude to her because of her differences so why does she have to be that way to me? It's the same way around, I didn't grow up in her time, this is all I know, she has the bigger advantage, she is alive in that time and this one, she's seen the world progress and change over the decades so she's had plenty of time to adjust and at least be used to it. She was born in 1919 and she didn't just grow up in the 20's/30's and skip over the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's and pop right back into today with no transition.

And it's not like my boobs are popping out and my butt cheeks are showing.
But my clothes aren't loose fitting and they aren't like painted on tight either.
My jeans are super fitted, I wear a size 2, they don't look loose but I can breathe and sit in them. Some of my jeans are ripped. I don't have much money for clothes, when I buy fall clothes I'll be getting stuff that fits me for everyday wear. I'm not going to go buy 4's because she'll like them more, I have a size 4, the butt of the jeans is droopy, looks tacky.

My boobs don't hang out of my tank tops and she hates tank tops, usually you could see a bra strap, I wear a lot of racer back tanks, or fitted tanks from American Eagle.

My clothes aren't as loose as she'd like them, and she'd prefer them super loose on me. I plan on buying new clothes before I go and I plan on buying the RIGHT sizes, a small and 2, I'll have to wear this stuff everyday and I want to look good in it, I can't go buying a size bigger in all my stuff for one visit and I can't wear the same thing the whole time.

yeah that's one thing I refuse to do, is go to church to make someone happy. I don't do church, he doesn't do church, it would be unethical to force me to go to church.

And if we stay in my grandmothers room which she offered to us to stay in, if she gives us that room, yeah it would be weird to have sex in her bed, if we stay up in the loft then it might possibly happen,not saying it will not saying it won't, we'll be in a bed no one uses or we may even get an air mattress since there are only two twin beds in loft and he is 6ft. Plus there's the airport parking lot here, the airplane rides, various places (tennessee is full of woods), tons of places, we don't need a bed inside the house to have sex, we're creative. I am partially kidding.
Even if we did, who knows, it's not like we'd be loud about it.
He used to have to sneak me into his old apartment cause his roommate was some crazy woman in her late 30's and we now live in a house where there is a 3 year old, you can bet we're the masters of no one knowing, so if we did, not saying it will, they wouldn't even know.

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
You misunderstood me. I said I went to Mass while not being Catholic. Not that I don't believe in the same God.. I just visit her church with her instead of searching for another the week we're up there. Its a small concession that doesn't mean much to me to do, why not? She knows I'm not Catholic. I don't partake in confession or their customary eating of wafers. I just go with her to do something that means something to her. Would I visit a satanic meeting with her? No. That would be against my beliefs totally. But that little which church we go to believing in the same God makes little difference. It's not a big deal to give a little. I own long skirts too. Why not make sure its one that makes my Grandma smile instead of a mini dress with a v-neck when I visit. If she called me and needed something on my way home and I was in a mini skirt, I certainly wouldn't go home to change first. But on knowing I'm going over, I choose the more appropriate dress for the circumstance.

The things that this old Grandma moans about seems to be the same things most Grandma's moan about. You look prettier natural.. don't show off your goodies.. your sleeping your life away... don't poke holes in your body or mark it up... you look pretty without it...he's never going to buy the cow if he gets the milk for free.. and so on and so forth. All things I've heard. None of which made me mad. I don't think it makes her evil, just normal.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
Mom2all said:
You misunderstood me. I said I went to Mass while not being Catholic. Not that I don't believe in the same God.. I just visit her church with her instead of searching for another the week we're up there. Its a small concession that doesn't mean much to me to do, why not? She knows I'm not Catholic. I don't partake in confession or their customary eating of wafers. I just go with her to do something that means something to her. Would I visit a satanic meeting with her? No. That would be against my beliefs totally. But that little which church we go to believing in the same God makes little difference. It's not a big deal to give a little. I own long skirts too. Why not make sure its one that makes my Grandma smile instead of a mini dress with a v-neck when I visit. If she called me and needed something on my way home and I was in a mini skirt, I certainly wouldn't go home to change first. But on knowing I'm going over, I choose the more appropriate dress for the circumstance.

The things that this old Grandma moans about seems to be the same things most Grandma's moan about. You look prettier natural.. don't show off your goodies.. your sleeping your life away... don't poke holes in your body or mark it up... you look pretty without it...he's never going to buy the cow if he gets the milk for free.. and so on and so forth. All things I've heard. None of which made me mad. I don't think it makes her evil, just normal.
All I own are tank tops or v necks. It's all I buy too.
I won't be able to get very much when I do get fall clothes, maybe 2-3 pairs of jeans and maybe 5-7 cheap shirts from target or something and you can bet they'll all be something I like and will wear daily here. I visit about every two years or 1 1/2 so it's not like I am going to go buy loose pants, crew neck shirts (right? I think) and cardigans to wear in what will most likely only be 70 degree temps for tenn in early to mid october. They are forcasted into the 90's for early sept.

If that's the case by October it should be 60's or 70's and that's still tank top weather.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Look, in the end, you are going to do whatever you want.

Mom2all offered you some ideas to minimise the comments, which seem to bother you.

I'm going to let you in on something important: You cannot change someone if they do not want to change themselves. You can only control what you do.

For example, I have a full sleeve of tattoos, and a half sleeve, I have them down my back, a chest piece, on my hands and on my legs. They do upset my grandmother, because she loves me, and even though I am in my 40's, when she looks at me, she still see's the little girl with curls and a gingham dress saying "Gramma can we bake patty cakes today?" and I can see that what I have done to my skin would bother her. Now, I don't regret any of my tattoos, I love them, however, when my grandmother is over, she will comment on what she can see, so it is easier to wear pants and a long sleeved top.

That's not denying myself anything, it is taking the control I can take over the situation so I can avoid conversations I do not enjoy.

If you insist on wearing singlets and torn jeans, then go ahead and wear them, it's your body, but then you can expect the comments, it's like adding fuel to a fire. Surely you own at least one t-shirt or have something in the back of your wardrobe that does not show your shoulders, boobs or back though? So if you WANT to change the outcome of your stay, that may be the way to go about it.

However, if you want to continue to dress provocatively (and I am not saying you do by today's standards, however, by your great grandmother's standards, I am going to say you are above and beyond provocative) then you are making the choice to encourage her comments, and there is nothing you can do about them then.

Last edited:

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
cybele said:
Look, in the end, you are going to do whatever you want.

Mom2all offered you some ideas to minimise the comments, which seem to bother you.

I'm going to let you in on something important: You cannot change someone if they do not want to change themselves. You can only control what you do.

For example, I have a full sleeve of tattoos, and a half sleeve, I have them down my back, a chest piece, on my hands and on my legs. They do upset my grandmother, because she loves me, and even though I am in my 40's, when she looks at me, she still see's the little girl with curls and a gingham dress saying "Gramma can we bake patty cakes today?" and I can see that what I have done to my skin would bother her. Now, I don't regret any of my tattoos, I love them, however, when my grandmother is over, she will comment on what she can see, so it is easier to wear pants and a long sleeved top.

That's not denying myself anything, it is taking the control I can take over the situation so I can avoid conversations I do not enjoy.

If you insist on wearing singlets and torn jeans, then go ahead and wear them, it's your body, but then you can expect the comments, it's like adding fuel to a fire. Surely you own at least one t-shirt or have something in the back of your wardrobe that does not show your shoulders, boobs or back though? So if you WANT to change the outcome of your stay, that may be the way to go about it.

However, if you want to continue to dress provocatively (and I am not saying you do by today's standards, however, by your great grandmother's standards, I am going to say you are above and beyond provocative) then you are making the choice to encourage her comments, and there is nothing you can do about them then.
That's just it.
I don't want to put myself though anything.
It's still going to be warm when I go and extremely humid, I sweat a lot, I don't like shirts with sleeves, I don't like feeling the wet armpits. I rather explain to her nicely not to make rude comments because it isn't nice than feel damp armpit areas all day and that's even with deodorant with an antiperspirant.

Pretty much everything in my closet is tank tops, the old stuff is too big. I have 3 v-neck shirts that cover shoulders but the front comes up as high my tanks do. I don't have the boobs to fall out of a shirt and they aren't poking out the top either.

And what the hell is a singlet? I don't even know what that is....
As for the torn jeans, if my fitted or torn jeans are all I have, what do you suppose I wear?
Slum it in sweats and a t-shirt the whole time, not shower, do my hair or make up and just go "natural"?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Okay, singlet must be "Australian" for tank top.

But like I said, it's her choice. You can poke the bear, or you can choose not to. It's up to you, but you kind of lose the point of complaining about the bear if you are poking it.

Cop2be

PF Fiend
May 28, 2009
cybele said:
Okay, singlet must be "Australian" for tank top.

But like I said, it's her choice. You can poke the bear, or you can choose not to. It's up to you, but you kind of lose the point of complaining about the bear if you are poking it.
Would it be wrong of me to tell her if she says something, "that's not nice please don't make comments like that"?