Vomiting...

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I'm a worry-er in case you guys haven't noticed by now. My little monkey has been getting sick since about noon every half an hour. When it first started we were up to 6 times in about 2 hours. I have given her Kaolectrylyte (sp?).

What do I do now? Do I let her sleep in her own bed tonight? I'm not sure! She has a low grade fever too. It's just making me worry that I should take her in and make sure she's not dehydrated.

Any suggestions would be great.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Is she showing any signs of dehydration? When was her last wet diaper?
If you poke her skin, does it stay indented, or does it spring right back up? Is she able to hold down any liquids at all?

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
As far as I can tell she's not showing signs. She hasn't had a wet diaper since we've been home from the sitters at noon. Her skin goes right back down when I pinch it. And she vomited about a half hour ago. It was pretty much the fluid I have been giving her.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I just found this. I would at least call the doc, if not take her to urgent care.

Take your infant or a child under six years old to the doctor if:

vomiting lasts more than a few hours;
diarrhea is also present;
signs of dehydration occur;
there is a fever higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit; or
the child hasn't urinated for six hours.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Thank you very much. We have a Call A Nurse at one of the local hospitals that I just found. I will try them and see. I'm really trying to avoid a trip to the emergency room.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Oh I know - we were just in the ER Wednesday morning. Hannah came downstairs with a 105 degree fever and a headache. SO here's me thinking she has meningitis or something. Um, she had strep throat. But I'd rather be safe than sorry, you know?
Yeah, just see what your nurse line says. If there is an urgent care facility near you that can be a better option than the ER also.
Hope she feels better!!!!

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Well she was quick and to the point. Not very personable. No eating for 6 hours. After that give her tablespoons of any type of re hydration liquid (yeah I've been doing that). If her fever gets up to 104 I should bring her in. And if the vomiting continues through the night I should take her to her doctor first thing in the morning. I don't want her to go through this all night. :(

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I know what you mean, that is hard to deal with through the night. When we were at the ER the doc gave us an (I think I am spelling this right) antiemitic. It completely cures nausea. I don't know if they could give it to a baby though...

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
She's acting a little better. She actually got down off my lap to go play. I'm afraid to let her sleep in her bed. Normally she's in bed at 7pm. I know she's tired but it scares me she'll choke.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It sounds like rota virus. Do you have suppositories to put in her rectum? This will usually take down the fever which will stop her from vomiting and she will be able to take down some liquids. A teaspoon of gatorade every ten minutes is good. They say not to give them anything until an hour after they vomit but I didn't listen.
If she is lathargic and its NOT her bed time then take her in. Don't play.
The suppository's always worked and as long as they are up there for fifteen minutes you are good to go.
I hope she's feeling better soon. I'd keep a bowl and her in bed with you and lay her in the middle of towels. Good luck sweets

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
jrrsmom said:
Well she was quick and to the point. Not very personable. No eating for 6 hours. After that give her tablespoons of any type of re hydration liquid (yeah I've been doing that). If her fever gets up to 104 I should bring her in. And if the vomiting continues through the night I should take her to her doctor first thing in the morning. I don't want her to go through this all night. :(
she is an udder idoit! Just so you know!!!! The AAP says to NEVER with hold food from an infant!!!!! NEVER. If she wants anything you give it to her. Now if she doesn't want to eat, then that is fine as long as she is getting liquids.

How is she today?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
she is an udder idoit! Just so you know!!!! The AAP says to NEVER with hold food from an infant!!!!! NEVER. If she wants anything you give it to her. Now if she doesn't want to eat, then that is fine as long as she is getting liquids.

How is she today?
I agree. I want to know how she's doing too.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
We went to the doctor today. She either just has a gastrointestinal bug or the rotavirus. We are on the "B.R.A.T" diet.

Last night she had diarrhea. I have never gagged since she's been born. She ALMOST got me last night. It was horrible.

Anyways, she got sick one more time this morning and she's had a little bit of diarrhea. She hasn't had a fever today though. She has been drinking pedialyte. Very little at a time but she's drinking.

The doctor said she was the 4th baby today about the same age with the same exact thing.

She didn't give us any medications and she said we would just have to wait it out.

Thank you very much for everyone's help and concern. I really appreciate it.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
sounds like rota if it smelled that bad. And he is right there is nothing you can do but wait it out. I hope she feels better soon

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
She's been in bed since 6pm. Poor little girl. Whiney! OMG has she been whiney.

I said the other day if this is how all her birthdays are going to go I'm never telling her when she was born.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Poor baby. You will never forget that smell. The vomit is sweet smelling and the poo is just pure rotten, almost like death and it has particles of something in it that look like fish scales.
I'm with ya on the gagging thing. That's the ONLY time I lost it is when they got rota. It made the whole house stink. I hated it.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
The vomit didn't bother me. Even though I was COVERED in it. The diarrhea on the other hand was just wrong. My husband asked what I fed her. It was just...WRONG. Blech. I hope she's over it but the doctor said it might last for a week.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
lmao, I totally understand. It usually comes back once again after you think it's gone too by the way. Wipe down everything. I swear that virus has floating spores. lol
Speaking of vomit, I'm covered in it right now myself. :(