Worst Parenting Advice Ever Heard...

LisaH

Jun 23, 2010
My ex husband used to believe it is good for the kids to climbs on everything until we found my oldest son on the house roof when he was only four! Nearly gave me a heart attack!

Other time my son came home one day and told me that one of the kid in his class told the class that when his brother misbehave, his father would get a hanging rope noose out and put it around his brother’s neck!

PftngMothhd

Jul 6, 2010
San Diego, CA
From my mother in law, who had 4 kids...

Babies can't get sick for the first 3 months of their life. :p
My second got a nasty cold at 7 days, so that will teach her!

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
bssage said:
The way the cat story goes I think. Is that cats smell the milk on a sleeping babies breath and sticks their head in the mouth to get the milk suffocating the baby. Someone needs to suggest it to Mythbusters. Not with a real baby of course.
yes that is what I heard to. They don't take the breath away but they lay on the baby and suffocate them. My cat tried it with my second child.

OMG I love all these, sorry I don't have any I can think of.

Tracyt90

PF Regular
Jul 7, 2010
Hoquiam,WA
The worst advice I have heard is using Brandy or Whiskey to help babys when they're teething. I don't care if it works or not, that's wrong.

shelpmagazine

May 6, 2010
Letting a young child zip a small amount of beer. For me this is ridiculous, not funny because you're teaching your child to start drinking habits. If you wish to learn and know more about Good and Successful parenting, I suggest everyone to read Self Help Articles online.

Hartz75

PF Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I knew one girl (and I mean girl) that had a baby and when he was 6 mths old she was giving him coffe and the marshmellows from the lucky charms cereal :elvis: Needles to say the Aunt (who was friends with me) piped in and took the baby away till the father got there!!!!

lola

PF Regular
Jul 15, 2010
My daughters first hair cut is done by my brother in law believing that she will be like him a good student. :p

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Hartz75 said:
I knew one girl (and I mean girl) that had a baby and when he was 6 mths old she was giving him coffee
Ugh, that's nothing, my sister has a friend who gives her two year old daughter coffee in her bottle every morning. :mad:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Eli has tasted my MIL's coffee a couple times before, I really don't see any harm in that at all lol. But yeah, I thought it was pretty crazy too. Messed up, if you ask me.

himmat01

Jul 31, 2010
My neighbour would advise me to give a tea spoon of brandy to my toddler when she was down with a severe cold.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
The culture I live in....they put custard in their infants bottle. We have a lot of obese, allergy ridden children and adults.

Oh, and someone told me that it's ok to give your tots orange soda, because it's orange after all!!!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
Oh, and someone told me that it's ok to give your tots orange soda, because it's orange after all!!!
you can feed them Cheetos using the same logic :)

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Hee hee! This parent was very young. I have to tell you that I was so completely surprised by the statement that I couldn't say anything. I mean, how do you tell someone orange soda doesn't actually contain oranges?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL wow that's pretty bad!!

And custard in a bottle?? EW!! That's so nasty!! I mean not in taste, but how bad must that be for you!! :(

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
stjohnjulie said:
Hee hee! This parent was very young. I have to tell you that I was so completely surprised by the statement that I couldn't say anything. I mean, how do you tell someone orange soda doesn't actually contain oranges?
well, I think it starts by grasping them by the shoulders...but be sure there isn't a wall behind them because they apparently don't have many brain cells left to spare....