Worst Parenting Advice Ever Heard...

Amberr

Sep 22, 2010
Don't know if this is advice but I heard it a lot as a kid and I'm sure many of you did too..

"Hope your kid turns out to be just like you!!!" In a sarcastic rude remark. As a kid even at a young age when kids are KIDS and they act out I remember my parents telling me that from a VERY Early age..

---------

Another one: This could get someone in TROUBLE now a days.. But I remember my mom locking me in the bathroom for a time out.. BAD IDEA.... Early 80s.. Guess she figured I'd have to much fun in my room with all the toys lol

I don't think I'd go to my parents for disciplining advice, They learned some crappy things from their parents in the "old days" and what they learned they learned from their parents parents and my parents would do the same to their children. When I have kids - I'm breaking that cycle..

NPRhead

PF Regular
May 8, 2010
Not sure if this is "parenting advice" per se, but I think it fits because it's bad parenting, in my book. I used to work at a supermarket in Pennsylvania, and the cashier that I was filling in for on bags was chatting with me, saying that she is "best friends" with her 11-year-old son (probably adult now). She'd give him anything he wanted, basically just to be a pal to her.

I just don't think that's effective in most cases. I know some kids are BFFs with their parents. I know I'm not, and may be biased. But I believe in some social separation.

Ultraman

Sep 24, 2010
Worst advice ever: "if your kids wanna fight, send them to the back yard and let em duke it out." (usually works out badly for the younger one).

kalakatau

Banned
Nov 8, 2010
Ha we heard that from DW's grandma too...you guysa aren't cousins are you?

Gotta think about that one, none are coming to mind at the moment.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
squirt the tots (the little ones) with a spray bottle of water when they get in trouble such as pitching a fit the same as you might do for a new kitten or puppy. its supposed to get their attention for a minute.
that stuff don't work. it always ended up in a big ole water fight.

oops! 30 days old. sorry toots! won't happen again. but there's my take on it.