God & Marriages.. and some....

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
musicmom said:
Yulia, for some reason you must think I care what you think. I don't. As far as the circumcision.....get over it already.
I tried being nice to you yesturday and you have to post like this? You are a nut case. I don't agree on anything about you. I don't agree with living in a cult, circumcision, and all the other garbage that you come up with. I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for your husband and your children.
I find you very strange. I'm entitled to my opinions and if you don't like them too bad. I am an American and I have that right.:D
Well, as far as cult, I guess one thing we do agree on after all! I don't get people who can't see cult for what it really is!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Aren't you going against your covenant being rude to people?? Not a very good member are you?

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
<r><QUOTE author="musicmom;28678"><s>
musicmom said:
</s>...<B><s></s>I don't agree with living in a cult...<e></e></B><e>
</e></QUOTE>
<br/>
&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;If you refer to a co-housing--a safe, very nice (and expensive, by the way)—neighborhood where neighbors actually interact with each other and kids can safely play with each other on pedways (without risking of being hit by a car) a cult, than you really have NO IDEA what cult really means! &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; .&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Anything that has "expectations" of my own children. HAVE to volenteer and are expected to attend gatherings. Having covenants etc...yes I believe that is a cult like atmosphere. You live on a compound.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Living at Nyland

Self-selection is the only way we have found to let people join our community. There are no interviews and no selection committees. If you choose to live here, it is expected that you will participate in community affairs and abide by our agreements. Please read through the following sections as they will help you gain a much better understanding of what life at Nyland is like. </SIZE>[/FONT]
<SIZE size="100">The best way to get to know Nyland is to get to know the people that live here. So please visit, join us for a common meal, attend a meeting or help out on a work day.
</SIZE>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Don't jump on me about my beliefs and my religious views because you have no room to talk.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
musicmom said:
Living at Nyland

Self-selection is the only way we have found to let people join our community. There are no interviews and no selection committees. If you choose to live here, it is expected that you will participate in community affairs and abide by our agreements. Please read through the following sections as they will help you gain a much better understanding of what life at Nyland is like. </SIZE>[/FONT]
<SIZE size="100">The best way to get to know Nyland is to get to know the people that live here. So please visit, join us for a common meal, attend a meeting or help out on a work day.</SIZE>
Yes, there are meetings that you have to attend to decide of whether or not to fix the cracked parking lot, or do the mitigation in the common house, or buy wasps traps. So what?!

Some rules were written by people who built this co-housing 15 years ago. They moved out. No one cares about them any longer!

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
leland said:
Yeah sounds good. I know im struggling in my marriage right now. I been seriously thinking about leaving my wife.. I have tryed working it out with her so many times for years now but it always ends up at this place.. Though i dont really believe in religon, i do believe in god, and i have my kids pray at dinner and such, but i work alot of nights, and not there and she wont do any of it....Thats just 1 of many things we constantly fight about.
I was wondering the same thing that was just asked..is she against it or just doesn't want to do it? Is there another time during the day before you go to work that you could do it with your children? Doesn't necessarily have to be at dinner. You could gather them all together and just say a prayer for the day, or at the end of the day, whenever you have a chance. I think it's great that you want to do that. The father is not only the "head", but he's the spiritual leader, as well. Kudos to you for wanting to instill that in your children.

I have a totally different view on religion. Most people consider "religion" to be going to St John's Baptist Charismatic Pentecostal Church of Latter Day Saints and Jehovah's Witness down the street. Not true at all. I claim to be religious, not because I go to church or because I condemn any other religion. I claim it because I am a christian, I worship God, and raise my family to. I go to church because "forsake not the assemblying yourself", plus we're blessed to have found a church full of true, Bible believing, LOVING people.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Musicmom, when I told my husband about “Nyland being a cult” he laughed and asked me to ask you if you meant a cult like Christianity or a smaller scale one?! &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt; &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Boy, he is sharp! I have to give my husband that!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt; &lt;IMG src="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/winky.gif"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/IMG&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

leland

PF Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2008
Memphis, TN
Amber said:
I was wondering the same thing that was just asked..is she against it or just doesn't want to do it? Is there another time during the day before you go to work that you could do it with your children? Doesn't necessarily have to be at dinner. You could gather them all together and just say a prayer for the day, or at the end of the day, whenever you have a chance. I think it's great that you want to do that. The father is not only the "head", but he's the spiritual leader, as well. Kudos to you for wanting to instill that in your children.

I have a totally different view on religion. Most people consider "religion" to be going to St John's Baptist Charismatic Pentecostal Church of Latter Day Saints and Jehovah's Witness down the street. Not true at all. I claim to be religious, not because I go to church or because I condemn any other religion. I claim it because I am a christian, I worship God, and raise my family to. I go to church because "forsake not the assemblying yourself", plus we're blessed to have found a church full of true, Bible believing, LOVING people.
She just doesnt want to do it.. Just like playing games, or reading a story at bedtime to them.... I do it with them on the weekends when im home and she sits through it cause she doesnt have a choice, but since shes there at dinnertime and im not, i cant control that...We just dont see eye to eye on anything in life really.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Well, perhaps some of it will rub off on her and she'll be a bit more interested in it. I hope things get better for you! :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
leland said:
She just doesnt want to do it.. Just like playing games, or reading a story at bedtime to them.... I do it with them on the weekends when im home and she sits through it cause she doesnt have a choice, but since shes there at dinnertime and im not, i cant control that...We just dont see eye to eye on anything in life really.
Ya know Leland, it was because of my mothers unskilled parenting style that I am a great mom. Just because she's not perfect or doesn't do things your way doesn't make her a bad parent. Maybe you are too high strung? You need to be able to bend as well. :cool:

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
AnKsMommy said:
I'm kind of torn on this. I think that as an adult they should choose their own religion, but till then I will work on bringing my girls up as Christians. My husband was brought up Catholic, but changed later on in life.

I don't think that one should NEED a church to teach a child good values. A parent can do that. But maybe I'm just bitter because I haven't found a good church that I like around here...in Virginia I found that most of them were too "money hungry". So we read the Bible and pray at home. Isn't there somewhere in the Bible that says something about more than three gathered in His name He'll be listening...something like that. I'm horrible I know lol.
fwiw, if you raise your kid to be a rational thinker you've probably raised an atheist.

to raise a kid as a christian is to train them to swallow what they're told.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't know if it's really "training them" but reinforcing their conscience by having them go to church. I know just the thought of the bible and it's word being told to me has stopped me from doing alot of stuff that I would have done if I had not had that knowledge. It gave me a strong conscience and that was put in me as a child.

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
evilbrent said:
fwiw, if you raise your kid to be a rational thinker you've probably raised an atheist.

to raise a kid as a christian is to train them to swallow what they're told.
So either way I can't go right, is that it?

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
AnKsMommy said:
So either way I can't go right, is that it?
actually, I meant it as a good thing... at least from my POV, because I'm an atheist.

I have difficulty believing that a rational thinker can become a christian, which is why I've decided to not raise my kids "atheist" but rather to try to help them learn to think - and the rest will hopefully come naturally.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
however, if you're a christian, and you really believe in that reality, then you should believe that I'm wrong, right? you ought to believe that by giving your kid rational thinking tools, and the ability to question/examine EVERYTHING told to them, they'll have no natural alternative than to fully believe in God, because that's the only rational explanation for the fact of the universe. right?