God & Marriages.. and some....

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm a christian and I don't believe you are wrong, us Christians pray for people that are atheists because they do not know.
There is no explanation for the Universe...scientists can not prove the "big bang theory" so yes a higher power would be more realistic.
There is nothing irrational about being a Christian. All the Christians I know are rational thinkers and that's what makes them Christians.
Athiests however...truely believe that they are right so therefore, they are the closed minded ones.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I'm a christian and I don't believe you are wrong, us Christians pray for people that are atheists because they do not know.

this is because you have Faith.
There is no explanation for the Universe...scientists can not prove the "big bang theory" so yes a higher power would be more realistic.

oh god, you're one of those people who refuse to understand what a theory is. I can't help you.
There is nothing irrational about being a Christian. All the Christians I know are rational thinkers and that's what makes them Christians.

rational.

I can't go into this here.
Athiests however...truely believe that they are right so therefore, they are the closed minded ones.

uh.... are you saying here that you're open minded because you truly believe that you're wrong?

as an atheist i am free to believe any idea which is rational - my world is an ever expanding world. As a christian you are only free to believe ideas which were made up by some group of men thousands of years ago - because new ideas are constantly being introduced, but your book is constantly remaining stagnant, your world is effectively an ever shrinking world.

I am open minded because I am free to consider these new ideas solely on their merits, while you must run them through a Bible-filter first to determine if the idea is doctrinally sound before assessing its merits.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't know who told you that but I believe the red words. I believe what Christ said. They never become stagnant. My world isn't shrinking, I'm sorry you believe that. My world is huge and beautiful. Everything that my God said still holds true and I can apply it everyday.
I don't have to run anything through a bible filter. LOL I already know what I am, what I need to do.
You truely do not know a real Christian and I can tell by the things you say, which is really sad. I hope you run across one so you'll see that it's actually rewarding, wonderful and exciting.
I know I'm not wrong. I've been shown time and time again by Gods grace.
I hope one day you open your heart and recieve it too.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
no it's not.

today, just today, you've said "I believe what Christ said" AND you've said "If someone had words with my kids there would be violence."

You either believe something or you don't - and _you_ are acting like you believe what jesus said.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I do believe what he said. I also love and adore my children and will protect them at all costs. Just because I am a Christian does not mean I sit back and let someone abuse my child.
I'm well aware of what I said.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
I don't know who told you that but I believe the red words. I believe what Christ said. They never become stagnant. My world isn't shrinking, I'm sorry you believe that. My world is huge and beautiful. Everything that my God said still holds true and I can apply it everyday.
I don't have to run anything through a bible filter. LOL I already know what I am, what I need to do.
You truely do not know a real Christian and I can tell by the things you say, which is really sad. I hope you run across one so you'll see that it's actually rewarding, wonderful and exciting.
I know I'm not wrong. I've been shown time and time again by Gods grace.
amen and well said music

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
evilbrent said:
no it's not.

today, just today, you've said "I believe what Christ said" AND you've said "If someone had words with my kids there would be violence."

You either believe something or you don't - and _you_ are acting like you believe what jesus said.
umm.. I don't advicate violance but do not understand what this comment means.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
ok first, I bet she was be figurative, but even if she was not and she really would punch someone. That does not make her a non Christian. Christians sin. Would it be a sin to punch someone, sure it would, but EVERYONE sins or does things "unethical" or whatever. That has nothing to do with being a Christian. Now if she said that she never sinned, then that would be un Christian if you will

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I tell you what. I believe that not hitting people is always the right thing to do. That's why I'll always say that I'm not going to hit people. I won't even joke about it.

I'm nitpicking on this one issue, sure, but when what MM says A: she believes (the words of Christ) and B: what she says she'll do (punch someone) are different then we have a contradiction. And you know what happens when you have a contradiction? You check your premises, and you'll find that one of them is wrong.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
you know what? that really offends me. I've never quite known why - but now I realise that it's just plain emotional manipulation.

imagine if I'd said the same to you - that I sincerely hope you one open your eyes and realise the truth: that I really hope that one day you stop believing what you believe...

that's rude.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
evilbrent said:
you know what? that really offends me. I've never quite known why - but now I realise that it's just plain emotional manipulation.

imagine if I'd said the same to you - that I sincerely hope you one open your eyes and realise the truth: that I really hope that one day you stop believing what you believe...

that's rude.

It is rude, except that its not intended to be rude - its intended to be kind. I understand your feelings about it as i find people proseletyzing to be ..condescending. But, they dont' mean to be condescending - they intend to try and HELP me. So i try and be understanding of that.

Jewish Athiest married to Lapsed Catholic here. Not much god in the house, but a good foundation of similar morality.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Brent, when someone thinks they are superior because of their faith, that is not a reflection on you. It is a very common mistake some people of faith often make, they find what works for them, and they conclude that anyone who has not found what they have found is somehow "Lost" so they feel sorry for all the lost people. There is NOTHING you can say\do, no matter how happy\successful you might be, you'll be forever lost and unhappy from their perspective, and they will do their damnest to convince that you're lost\unhappy and need to come to terms with your unhappiness so that you ultimately find god. From their perspective, there is only one way to climb a mountian, and all other routes are dead ends and lead only to more unhappiness. Even if you get to the top, they won't accept it because it is not their way, and their way is the only way.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Brent, to me it is a matter of individual awareness, not Faith vs Science, or religion vs religion. As a person grows in awareness things start coming together that once seemed to polar opposites or unrelated. I personally see no conflict between Faith vs Science, nor believe that one religion is somehow the sole path to glory. Just for fun, I wouldn't at all be surprised that we all are living in a virtual world within a larger reality, and death is simply the exit point, thus everything within this world is valid because it exists. (Favorite quote from Star Trek III: "Nothing unreal exists"). Of course just like everyone else, I have no true knowledge of what comes after death, which appears to be by design. :)

PennQuaker09

PF Fiend
Oct 8, 2007
Durham, NC
<r><QUOTE author="yulia;28507"><s></s>Looking into history, can be shocking to some because NOTHING caused (even remotely) as much blood and hatred as religion did. So, I guess, it's safe to say that religion is the biggest evil in the history of humanity!<e></e></FONT><e>[/COLOR]</e></COLOR><br/>
<br/>
<COLOR color="darkred"><s></s>Somebody said “While spirituality unites people, religion brings them apart”. So very true…<e></e></FONT><e>[/COLOR]</e></COLOR><br/>
&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

I kind of agree. &lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE author="musicmom;28524"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
musicmom said:
&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;When you get to the pearly gates make sure you tell God that.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

&lt;br/&gt;
It's not an attack against God. It's just a historical fact that religion has a history of causing bloodshed. Religion doesn't equal Christianity or God, it just means religion in general.&lt;/r&gt;