Mad dad.....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with what he did, and I dont. I don't think it's traumatic or horrifying that he shot her laptop. So what? If he ran it over or something, would you people care as much about that factor? Either way so what if it got destroyed, it's just a stupid laptop. Do you know how many laptops are in the world? What does that one REALLY matter? lol I mean if it were me, I would have probably sold it or gave it to someone, but hey to each their own. Selling it or giving it away would have no shock factor. Shooting it had plenty of shock factor. ;) That's the difference.

So I see nothing wrong with any of the things that he said or what he did. The thing I have a problem with is the INSANE level of public humility. The whole world saw her punishment. How can she EVER recover from that? Now even still I don't think that the guy is a bad dad, because I feel that was unintentional. I don't think he had any idea that the video would extend any further than her friends and family. On her facebook page alone, this really isn't that big of a deal. Now that the world has seen it and is talking about it, it's a totally different thing. The highest level of public humiliation, and something everyone will remember and she will never live down. That is what I don't like about this situation. She deserved punishment, good for him for shooting her laptop, and good for him for telling her friends that he did it. Not so good that he didn't think about the possible outcomes of his actions, like the video going viral and the whole world talking about his daughter (and him).

And yes, most people I know have guns. My husband has four.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Good grief

I was responding to the question. "What do you thinK?" That's what we do here. lol It's a message board. full of people with different opinions, as you gave yours. lol:)

I don't think the idea of him distroying her lap top was actually the issue, it was more about what we thought about the way he choose to teach his daughter a lesson, I don't give a flying fig about the lap top per say, right who cares.

We own guns too. My husband own 8 hunting riffles, my son owns one and I own 2 hand guns. I have no issue with guns.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
If this was about internet attention he would have already been on every talk show. Hes not and seems to have retreated awat fron the media. The onky attention he wanted was his DDs. Just like me talking Samanthas phone and breaking it with a hammer. I will only ask so many times or reprimand so many times before i take action ......my way.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
NancyM said:
Good grief

I was responding to the question. "What do you thinK?" That's what we do here. lol It's a message board. full of people with different opinions, as you gave yours. lol:)

I don't think the idea of him distroying her lap top was actually the issue, it was more about what we thought about the way he choose to teach his daughter a lesson, I don't give a flying fig about the lap top per say, right who cares.

We own guns too. My husband own 8 hunting riffles, my son owns one and I own 2 hand guns. I have no issue with guns.
Lol and we disagree. Its fine...its a to each their own kinda thing.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
NancyM said:
Good grief

Is this... directed at me? :err:
I'm confused, because my comment is the only one in between this comment and your last comment, and yet I don't understand why you said any of this to me? As far as the laptop, I was referring to the comments that were like this...

fiona_f said:
This guy sucks. Mainly, because he lacks empathy. He's also wasteful, he could have donated that laptop to someone who genuinely could have used it. Imagine the difference in someone's life he could have made rather than throwing a bitchy fit.
And I was just adding to M2M's comment about guns being common by saying that I agree they are common. I have no idea how that could have possibly been perceived as directed at you... lol.

Anyway, yes, she asked what do we think, and that was the only question I was answering...? lol Not directed at you at all, not even a little bit. Just sharing my view on the topic. I don't even think I addressed any of your actual points on the issue. I am so confused.

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Xero said:
Is this... directed at me? :err:
I'm confused, because my comment is the only one in between this comment and your last comment, and yet I don't understand why you said any of this to me? As far as the laptop, I was referring to the comments that were like this...

And I was just adding to M2M's comment about guns being common by saying that I agree they are common. I have no idea how that could have possibly been perceived as directed at you... lol.

Anyway, yes, she asked what do we think, and that was the only question I was answering...? lol Not directed at you at all, not even a little bit. Just sharing my view on the topic. I don't even think I addressed any of your actual points on the issue. I am so confused.
Don't be confused Xero, it's not worth it. I'm really done with crazy dad anyway.

Have a great night.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
NancyM said:
Don't be confused Xero, it's not worth it. I'm really done with crazy dad anyway.

Have a great night.
Okay... Or you could just say "Yes, it was directed at you because of xyz" or "no, that wasn't directed at you, sorry you misunderstood" or even "Oops, I guess I was directing my irritation at somebody who wasn't even talking to me".

Mom2all

PF Fiend
Nov 25, 2009
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Just like me talking Samanthas phone and breaking it with a hammer. I will only ask so many times or reprimand so many times before i take action ......my way.
I've done this. My 2 oldest got into a physical fight over the cordless phone years ago. Called me at work in the middle of it screaming over who's turn it was. I took an hours leave, walked calming in the door to 2 very surprised children, found my hammer and bashed the thing in a million pieces and explained that nothing we have was worth fighting over. I'd destroy anything that caused that kind of grief. Then I went back to work. They never fought over any phone again.. or TV.. or play station..:D :D :D

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Xero said:
Okay... Or you could just say "Yes, it was directed at you because of xyz" or "no, that wasn't directed at you, sorry you misunderstood" or even "Oops, I guess I was directing my irritation at somebody who wasn't even talking to me".

Since your directing this at me Xero, I will respond.
I didn't respond to that question because I suspect your having a bad day/night, and for what ever reason, just not feeling like your usual sweet self. I also feel that you specifically look for my posts to argue with me. As you have in the past, and I simply didn't feel like responding to you.

Now I'll tell you that I'm <I>positive</I>, no matter how I responded to your question "was this directed at me?" you would have freaked out and turned it into something totally opposite than what I meant so what's the point.. OH yeah, and don't forget to knock my rep down like you usually do when you can't get your way.

I swear you are a strange one sometimes, And I'm choosing to ignore you immaturity and rudness this night. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. Nite nite.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
NancyM said:
I didn't respond to that question because I suspect your having a bad day/night, and for what ever reason, just not feeling like your usual sweet self. I also feel that you specifically look for my posts to argue with me. As you have in the past, and I simply didn't feel like responding to you.

Now I'll tell you that I'm <I>positive</I>, no matter how I responded to your question "was this directed at me?" you would have freaked out and turned it into something totally opposite than what I meant so what's the point.. OH yeah, and don't forget to knock my rep down like you usually do when you can't get your way.

I swear you are a strange one sometimes, And I'm choosing to ignore you immaturity and rudness this night. Hope you have a better day tomorrow. Nite nite.
Wow, NancyM!! Talk about uncalled for!!! How awkward.

Still no real answer. I will assume that's because the answer is the one you'd prefer not to admit "Oops, I guess I was directing my irritation at somebody who wasn't even talking to me". Not that big of a deal. No need to go off on a rampage aimed at somebody who's honest confusion YOU caused.

There's no need to get so mad and start calling names just because you made a mistake. That is just so awkward. I am really blown away by your behavior. So I'm usually sweet, but actually I'm strange, immature, and rude? Good golly dear, lay off the personal attacks please?

I didn't do anything to you hun. I quite politely asked if you were talking to me, and explained why I was confused. And you like, exploded and said terrible things about me. I think we all know who is really having a bad night.

Awkward, awkward, awkward.

Last edited:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh, and I just want to address these two comments real quick.

NancyM said:
I also feel that you specifically look for my posts to argue with me.
I wasn't talking to you, remember? You are the one that targetted my post. It's actually funny you think that, because it's quite the opposite. I go out of my way to ignore your posts because I don't like the way you talk to people, and I'd prefer to avoid being talked to like that.

NancyM said:
OH yeah, and don't forget to knock my rep down like you usually do when you can't get your way.
I gave you bad rep one time. And that had nothing to do with getting my way. It was because you were attacking people on a personal level (oh look, you're doing it again, what a surprise), which I find unfriendly and out of line. I used the rep button in a situation that it was made for. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings and you're still dwelling over that.

Last edited:

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
NancyM said:

I gotta back Xero up here also. Her original statement was pretty generic in it's answer. Geared at no one, only answering my original post. Not really sure where the animosity is coming from???....

TabascoNatalie

PF Addict
Jun 1, 2009
England and somewhere else
Did dad over react? Yes. Sorry again but 'CREATIVE?"
'creative' as in a way of getting attention :D

as for using a gun, oh well... I do support gun ownership, however, i don't think firearms should be flashed around to make yourself look tough or 'teach someone a lesson'. Just wrong. :( if to take "the teenager" out of the equation, and imagine if this was directed at his wife, ex-wife, co-worker or neighbor. just unpleasant. (yet i believe many of us would feel like that on numerous occasions)

Incogneato

PF Fanatic
Feb 9, 2011
I think the dad was within his rights to do whatever he wanted to his own property. The parent set rules for what was expected, they took previous rational disciplinary actions which obviously did not change her ways, and now he removed the conduit that was allowing her to break the rule he made for her.

I can't say that I would have shot the laptop, but I would have definitely either thrown it away, taken a hammer to it, or thrown it in some water.

Good for him, for trying to be a good parent and teach his kid some manners, respect, and humility.

EnoMae

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
Paris, France
Seeing how he is receiving positive feedbacks really disturbs me. Teens today are not like teens ten years ago. Time changes, and teens always to want more, no matter how big or how little they already have. So her complaining about this is nothing and all teens do so. Some write it in a journal, others keep it to themselves and some others write it on Facebook. It is normal. Maybe not right, but still quite normal. The father did not react well at all.

It is embarrassing to think a grown man could react in such a foolish way. That is what kids do: If someone does something bad to me, I will do the same think in return.

Also, him shooting the laptop is what bothered me the most out of all this. I know in the United States, carrying a gun is legal, but using it to shoot anything any time is just dumb. No one else is worried? I did see some others talk about it but it is so rare that it bothers me. Since when shooting something that belongs to someone is the best way of dealing with anger? Doesn't that ring a bell? If he feels the urge to shoot something that belongs to her daughter, he might as well feel the urge to physically or mentally abuse her!

I am not the kind of person who likes to say ''My opinion is right, not yours'', but in that case, I seriously think it is. It is upsetting to see this man doing whatever he did. Whether he was extremely mad or not, this will never EVER be the way to punish or talk about an issue with a teen. Wait, what am I saying. He is publishing a video instead of having a serious talk with his daughter! You call this a good parent?!

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
EnoMae said:
Seeing how he is receiving positive feedbacks really disturbs me. Teens today are not like teens ten years ago. Time changes, and teens always to have more, no matter how big or how little they already have. So her complaining about this is nothing and all teens do so. Some write it in a journal, others keep it to themselves and some others write it on Facebook. It is normal. Maybe not right, but still quite normal. The father did not react well at all.

It is embarrassing to think a grown man could react in such a foolish way. That is what kids do: If someone does something back to me, I will do the same think in return.

Also, him shooting the gun is what bothered me the most out of all this. I know in the United States, carrying a gun is legal, but using it to shoot anything any time is just dumb. No one else is worried? I did see some others talk about it but it is so rare that it bothers me. Since when shooting something that belongs to someone is the best way of dealing with anger? Doesn't that ring a bell? If he feels the urge to shoot something that belongs to her daughter, he might as well feel the urge to physically or mentally abuse her!

I am not the kind of person who likes to say ''My opinion is right, not yours'', but in that case, I seriously think it is. It is upsetting to see this man doing whatever he did. Whether he was extremely mad or not, this will never EVER be the way to punish or talk about an issue with a teen. Wait, what am I saying. He is publishing a video instead of having a serious talk with his daughter! You call this a good parent?!
I said pretty much the same thing in my posts. I agree completely. :)

EnoMae

PF Regular
Feb 11, 2012
Paris, France
Yes, our replies are pretty similar ! Glad to see someone thinking the same way! It is rare to see people disagreeing with what he did ...

I left so much mistakes in that first post ... I wrote it without really thinking ! &gt;&lt;

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
Your post was fine EnoMae I didn't notice the errors. Welcome to the board.
I too was surprised to see so many people condoning what he did. Interesting.