"Crying it out" method causes brain damage!...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
actually Music mom there are MANY scientific studies that show that babies who are left to CIO are more likely to have panic attaacks as adults, more likly to be suicidal as teenagers and many more things.

And seriously stop with the telling of members to leave. She has every right to post her opinion as do you. If you have that serious of a problem with her, then block her posts or simply do not read them.
I also feel very strongly about CIO
Who are you talking to??? *looking around* Who did I tell to leave? Also, you said "members" who else have I told???? *crickets chirping*

Where are the scientific studies? I think children who have mothers who freak out at the slightest thing are the one's that are going to mentally messed up.

There is no way to prove that theory. Is an adult going to say "oh I have panick attacks because my mom let me cry"???

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
I'm not completely opposed to the CIO method. I do feel that if you use this method it is EXTREMELY important to follow your instincts. I would never let my child cry for longer than 20 minutes. And I would never let a child under the age of 6 months CIO. Children have to learn to calm themselves.
I agree. 20 minutes was my limit and they always fell asleep by then.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
Who are you talking to??? *looking around* Who did I tell to leave? Also, you said "members" who else have I told???? *crickets chirping*

Where are the scientific studies? I think children who have mothers who freak out at the slightest thing are the one's that are going to mentally messed up.

There is no way to prove that theory. Is an adult going to say "oh I have panick attacks because my mom let me cry"???
I am not going to get into a petty fight with you right now, so lets just leave it as is.

As far as studies go here are a few, but I am sure you can look some up yourself.

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/14/the_odd_body_crying/[/url]

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Yeah I have let my babies cry but never CIO. I am opposed to CIO but there have been instances where I have put my inconsolable baby down, walked away to breathe for a minute, and come back because my stress was only making things worse.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
I am not going to get into a petty fight with you right now, so lets just leave it as is.

As far as studies go here are a few, but I am sure you can look some up yourself.

http://drbenkim.com/articles-attachment-parenting.html
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/14/the_odd_body_crying/[/URL]
That's what I thought.

Those are only someone's opinion and also a study (with no evidence). Still no evidence or proof.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Still no evidence or proof.
well since you don't like studies that show harm to chiuldren, you take that chance with your babies. Me, however will NEVER take an AVOIDABLE risk and put it on my children. Just like SIDS, studies show different things will reduce the chance, and I for one will follow that advise and do what I can to prevent things from happening to my child.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol, I heard that after Nihcole was born, but I never dreamed of making her CIO for nothing more then "mommy wants to sleep"

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Well my older ones had already been born before the study came out but I never let them CIO anyways. This just supported what I was already doing.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
that's how I found attachment parenting things. Didn't know it had a name, it was just how I took care of my baby. I don't co-sleep every night, but Nichole does come to bed with me a few times a week for half the night or so. When she wants to, I let her. I also did not do Child led weaning, but I did go to 22 months.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Nope still not good enough ;) I personally would not let my child CIO. I'm just saying that I don't think there is a way to prove that it could mentally make a child as an adult have problems.
Life gives an adult problems. Who's to say that some other trama didn't cause the child to have panick attacks or nervousness? They would have to put a child in a bubble and plan everything to make sure the study was perfect. Do you see my point though?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I'm going to ask my mother if she let me CIO cause I jump easily at stuff..hahaha Plus I am way over protective with my kids. Damn her!! (she'll be here in a bit) I am seriously going to ask her.
I think alot of my anxiety came from a really bad neighbor and living with an alcoholic. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
well no point of debating with someone who doesn't believe studies so...
Isn't that the point of debating? They do studies to show their side. I'm not saying it's not valid, I'm saying there is no way of controlling it to the point of adulthood.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
ok but the studies show that children left to CIO ARE more likely. Not that they will or that all adults who do were left to CIO.
Just like anything else, there are risks, which ones you take as a parent is up to you. My good friend had her baby sleeping on its stomach from day 1, says the baby was more comfortable that way. Did the baby die of SIDS? no, shes a healthy 3 1/2 year old now. Just a link that shows babies that sleep on their stomach have a higher chance of SIDS.
babies left to CIo have a higher chance of PSD and others

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
I run an AP board and about every mom has something they don't do- some don't (or can't) breastfeed, some don't co-sleep, etc. They just believe in the general principles.