"Crying it out" method causes brain damage!...

mrspineau

PF Regular
Feb 13, 2008
Canada
evilbrent said:
sometimes. yes.

sometimes you need a break.

sometimes you have 5 other kids who also need all your attention.
Yes, that's true. I think though that it is one thing to put your child down and let them cry with no sign that you are around and no sign that you are understanding that they are upset and it is another thing to put your child down in a safe spot where you can still see and acknowledge them while you deal with your other children. But 20 minutes is a long time.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it is very different to walk away from a child that you see and sees you to deal with another problem for 2 minutes, then to shut an infant in a bedroom for 20 minutes to cry by themselves! Bug difference. If you have to lock your kid away for that long of a time to "tend" to other things then maybe you should consider not having any more kids!

cannondalemr

Feb 14, 2008
South Florida
Not to insult anyone here but, if the studies that say prolonged stressed...particularly from cryining...can cause future issues are correct, then isn't every child that suffers from cholic in grave danger of having issues later in life.

I am asking as a curiosity not as an attack on anybody or their view points.

M

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yes.

stress, and the neurochemical pathways formed, have nothing to do with the source of stress.

cholic etc can be very traumatic for little babies, and the effects linger.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
no not completely true. The stress they refer to in these studies is stress caused from being helpless. A child who is pain and cries alone is feeling pain and feelings of abandonment. Kids who are in pain and held, feel the comfort from their parents. They NEVER feel abandoned. They of course still feel pain BUT many MANY MANY studies including the AAP believe a child that has colic that is placed against a chest to feel the breathing of the adult and the warmth, and hearing the heart beat is much more likely to have LESS colic then the child left alone in a crib to scream themselves to sleep

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
no not completely true. The stress they refer to in these studies is stress caused from being helpless. A child who is pain and cries alone is feeling pain and feelings of abandonment. Kids who are in pain and held, feel the comfort from their parents. They NEVER feel abandoned. They of course still feel pain BUT many MANY MANY studies including the AAP believe a child that has colic that is placed against a chest to feel the breathing of the adult and the warmth, and hearing the heart beat is much more likely to have LESS colic then the child left alone in a crib to scream themselves to sleep
so true.

cannondalemr

Feb 14, 2008
South Florida
I would be interested in seeing MRI scans of the childs brain during these different periods of stress. Are there any studies that include visual data.

I'm no doctor just very interested in child development and psychology.

Thanks

M

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
cannondalemr said:
I would be interested in seeing MRI scans of the childs brain during these different periods of stress. Are there any studies that include visual data.

I'm no doctor just very interested in child development and psychology.

Thanks

M
yes, there are MRIs of kids' brain in the book i have mentioned.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
there ya go. I was going to say I know that studies have shown it but not sure where to see actaul pics

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
jleannhayes said:
Yulia, are your children half or not at all vaccinated?
My son got 9 shots total (3 sets of DTaP, HiB and PCV at 4, 6 and 8 months of age) before I knew any better. I deeply regret it :( .

My daughter is lucky, she never got a shot.

Never again for our family!

I posted a very good movie on the subject, I highly recommend watching it before giving your child any more shots.
yulia.

Elizabeth

PF Regular
Feb 2, 2008
Yulia, come to the Authentic Parent Community forum. You will find all the agreement there for your ideas. I am with you. A baby who is left to cry is traumatized and it does cause damage. It is not caused brain damage of the kind one can detect the next day. But distress reduces intelligence and causes emotional issues for life.

it is best to respond to babies fully and trust that they cry for a reason and they need us to hold and respond, not to ignore and neglect. I also agree that circumcision is horrible mutilation and trauma and should be abolished.
No adult would put up with being forced to cut part of their body... OMG. I can't believe the responses you got. I love that other forum. It is new and everyone is like you.

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
i haven't seen the research stated about brain damage, however, it stands to reason (well my reason anyway) that a child left to cio quickly learns that speaking up gets you nowhere. I would like to raisw an assertive child, so i don't use cio.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I have only read a few posts but I have to jump in here. I didn't let my oldest daughter cry it out and at the age of 4 she still has trouble getting to sleep by herself. However I talked to a few people about letting a child cry it out and the right way to do it and I tried it with my younger daughter and she goes to bed on her own almost every night started sleeping through the night younger than a year and still does. I would also like to add that my younger daughter is more affectionate than my older one, proving, at least to me, that violence has nothing to do with CIO. My youngest daughter is currently 21 months old.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Elizabeth said:
No adult would put up with being forced to cut part of their body... OMG. quote]

That is not true. People do it all the time with piercing and body modification. There are some tribes around the world that take this to extremes.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Elizabeth said:
Yulia, come to the Authentic Parent Community forum. You will find all the agreement there for your ideas. I am with you. A baby who is left to cry is traumatized and it does cause damage. It is not caused brain damage of the kind one can detect the next day. But distress reduces intelligence and causes emotional issues for life.

it is best to respond to babies fully and trust that they cry for a reason and they need us to hold and respond, not to ignore and neglect. I also agree that circumcision is horrible mutilation and trauma and should be abolished.
No adult would put up with being forced to cut part of their body... OMG. I can't believe the responses you got. I love that other forum. It is new and everyone is like you.
Yes Yulia, you really should try that! :notworthy:

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Elizabeth said:
No adult would put up with being forced to cut part of their body... OMG. quote]

That is not true. People do it all the time with piercing and body modification. There are some tribes around the world that take this to extremes.
She was talking about adult being FORCED (aka straped down and mutilated). HUGE difference with piercing, isn't it?![/quote]